Posted by admin
on Mar 23rd, 2012 in Recipes
| 0 comments
Turmeric is one of the healthiest spices and also gives your food a great taste! It’s a powerful antioxidant and healing herb with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s been shown to prevent cancer and stop the growth of tumors in laboratory animals and has been the subject of numerous studies.
AND, since it tastes good, there’s no reason not to put it in any dish you can!
This recipes satisfies my goal for healthier eating by including turmeric and it also satisfied my goal of easy meals because its all made in the crock pot! Simply dump the ingredients in, turn the knob and 7 hours later out pops a delicious meal. Can’t get much easier … and healthier than that!
Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken With Turmeric Recipe
- 3 Lb Chicken Pieces (can be breasts, thighs, whatever you want works!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 onion, cut into pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 carrots, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into pieces
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix the turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt and juice from the lemon.
- Spread the spice mixture over the chicken to coat.
- Load the carrots, onions and peppers into the crock pot.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and sprinkle the pepper evenly on the chicken.
- Pour the olive oil and crushed tomatos over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- You can serve this with rice or even noodles - in the picture I have it on a bed of quinoa that I had left over in the fridge.
- **Note - It is thought that eating black pepper with turmeric helps your body to absorb the healthy compounds in the turmeric so be sure to load the pepper on!