Posted by admin
on Apr 12th, 2012 in Sweets
| 0 comments
This cake is a great healthy alternative to regular chocolate cake. Despite the coconut flour, coconut oil and coconut cream frosting the cake doesn’t taste like coconut at all!
You can see the original recipe here but I made a few variations – replaced the butter with coconut oil and used turbinado sugar instead of brown sugar.
For the frosting, I made coconut butter from this recipe and then I added in the following to sweeten and flavor it:
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- I used a whole 8 oz bag of coconut flakes (organic, of course).
Here’s what the coconut butter looks like inside the vitamix (it’s kind of a pain to get out of there!)
The cake tastes good by itself so it doesn’t even really need any frosting!
Chocolate Cake with Coconut flour and Coconut Oil
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (in liquid form)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease an 8 x 8 pan.
- Mix eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla and coffee - beat with electric mixer until frothy.
- Sift the coconut flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet 1/3 at a time, mixing well each time. Mix well.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.